Maritime Cyber Awareness for Seafarers
This online course supports the shipping community as it implements the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Resolution MSC.428(98) requiring shipping companies to address cyber risks in their Safety Management Systems (SMS).
Successful completion of the course and certification from The Nautical Institute provides evidence of training to address cyber security risks under the IMO requirement.
This course is for all seafarers. It explains the Cyber challenges of today and what personal responsibilities you have to prevent a cyber-attack.
Training covers the key cyber risks affecting the maritime industry, showing how cyber threats can impact seafarer roles and the safety of life at sea. Including:
- What is maritime cyber security and how does it affect me?
- Why is managing cyber risk not just for the IT department?
- What cyber threats can affect my ship?
- What is my role in the ship’s cyber security efforts?
- How to manage cyber risk effectively onboard ships?
This three-hour module is composed of video content, supplementary reading material, and a 20-question self-test.
The Maritime Cyber Awareness for Seafarers course is offered in three modules. Each three-hour module is composed of video content, supplementary reading material, and a 20-question self-test.
Module 1: For All Crew members - Available now.
Training in baseline cyber security awareness that is suitable for all crew members. No prior knowledge of the topic is needed.
- Raise seafarer awareness of cyber security challenges in shipping
- Help seafarers identify potential cyber risks in ship operations
- Educate seafarers on how to report cyber incidents and implement cyber best practices.
- Establishing context: why care about cyber?
- Defining cyber security: understanding what cyber security is
- Cyber risks: the who, what, where, when, why, and how?
- Common threats
- The human factor, trust factors, and driving behavioural change
- Cyber security best practices: identifying and reporting a cyber breach
- Maritime cyber security scenarios.
INTRODUCTORY OFFER: The first 100 purchases of this course will be at the introductory rate of £70, after which the price will increase to £90
How to purchase the course
If you want to sign up for course you can purchase this directly from our shop. You can find the course on this link: Maritime Cyber Awareness for Seafarers
Once you have made the payment, you will receive confirmation from The Nautical Institute, and your details will be sent through to MarineLS to register you to the course. An email from MarineLS will come through shortly after with the link to the course login page. You will need to use the forgotten password option on the login page to set up your password and once this has been setup, you will be able to login and undertake the course.
Once you have completed the course, you will be able to download your certificate of completion under the completed courses list.