Suitable for those in command of a commercial or naval ship or who hold another senior position at sea or ashore as described below:
Candidate must satisfy the Executive Board as to his/her qualifications, professional development and experience, and that he/she:
- Has held a Class 1 Master Mariner certificate of competency or military command qualification and have sailed in command of a sea-going vessel normally for a period of six months; or
- Has held an alternative command qualification and served in command of a vessel greater than 500 GT for a minimum period of one year; or
- Has served as a marine pilot for a period of not less than 5 years and be responsible for handling ships of over 150 metres in length; or
- Has served as a harbour Master for a period of not less than 3 years and holds a relevant graduate-level qualification; or
- Has held senior management positions ashore for a period of not less than 1 year, while holding a relevant post-graduate level qualification. The role should be of equivalent standing to command at sea such as superintendent following service as a senior sea-going officer, or appointment as Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer or Head of Health and Safety typically responsible for a sizeable workforce.