202119 Mooring Morass
A vessel was at berth and a MARS reporter who was not a member of the crew noticed some possible mooring arrangement problems. Below is a photo taken at the time.
Some of the possible problems are:
- Improper leads of the mooring ropes around rollers including full turns and chafing situations.
- Ropes left on warping drum ends instead of being transferred onto mooring bitts.
- Too many turns on the working part of the split drum winch.
- No SWL marking on mooring bitts.
- Different types of ropes (so different breaking limit) working in same direction.
- Once again, new eyes can see hazards that may not be apparent to crew who are desensitised to the hazard.
- Unfortunately, poor design is also often at the basis of improper mooring patterns; something which is often overlooked during building.