Assessing Behavioural Competence Onboard
The Nautical Institute's Assessing Behavioural Competence Onboard Course has been designed to provide industry guidance on competency assessment. This course is primarily intended for any person conducting in-service assessment of competence of a seafarer on board. Furthermore, this course complements IMO Model course 1.30 – Onboard Assessment.
- Captains and Senior ship Officers
- Technical and Marine Superintendents
- Designated Persons Ashore (DPA)
- Operations Managers
This course introduces the processes and procedures to organize, administer and conduct onboard assessment of seafarer competence, in accordance with the provisions of section A-1/6 of the STCW Code and TMSA 3 - Element 3.
A trainee successful in completing the course will be able to:
1. Apply the international provisions concerning the training and assessment of officers and ratings on board ships.
2. Apply the international provisions in the context of national law.
3. Determine effective assessment methodologies.
4. Organize, administer and conduct onboard assessment.
• Shipboard assessment system
• Competence-based assessment
• Onboard assessment process
The candidates at the end of the course will be awarded with a certificate of completion
following a theoretical assessment and achieving a minimum of 60%.