ISM Lead Auditor - Fishing
Step in to the world of auditing with our ISM Lead Auditor - Fishing course and see how we can help you implement a safer environment for your fishermen and fisherwomen!
There has been widespread support across the industry to develop the new audit structure for implementation of Safety Management Systems. Both consumers and the wider seafood industry have a growing interest in sustainability and transparency of how seafood is caught. Consumers and the supply chain are looking more closely at ethical issues and how food is produced and working conditions for those involved. Operators adopting a fully auditable safety system for their business can demonstrate supply-chain transparency and develop the potential to add value to their business as a producer of ethically sourced seafood.
Adopting a Safety Management System has been a game changer in protecting workers from injury and saving lives in high-risk industries. By adopting an auditable Fishing Safety Management System, supported by The Nautical Institute ISM Lead Auditor’s course, operators are documenting all their safety and welfare activity and have peace of mind that they are compliant with regulations.
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the auditing principles extensively
- Prepare systematically for an ISM and/or FSM audit
- Systematically conduct an ISM and/or FSM audit
- Prepare an effective report after the audit
- Conduct an effective de-briefing and follow-up
The course is delivered over six days, totalling 18 hours of teaching time. This includes an assessment.
The course is designed for members of the maritime community, specifically those in the fishing industry who have the professional knowledge and experience to apply the principles of the ISM Code to fishing vessels whilst understanding the culture and requirements of the industry.
This is a pass/fail course. To achieve a pass, participants must:
- Pass a theoretical assessment held at the end of the course. The pass mark is 70%.
- Demonstrate the ability to complete all required elements of practical auditing tasks to the satisfaction of the instructor.