Onboard Competency Assessment
The Nautical Institute's Onboard Competency Assessment Course has been designed to provide industry guidance on competency assessment. This course is primarily intended for any person conducting in-service assessment of competence of a seafarer on board.
- Captains and Senior ship Officers
- Technical and Marine Superintendents
- Designated Persons Ashore (DPA)
- Operations Managers
This course introduces the processes and procedures to organize, administer and conduct onboard assessment of seafarer competence.
A trainee successful in completing the course will be able to:
1. Apply the international provisions concerning the training and assessment of officers and ratings on board ships.
2. Apply the international provisions in the context of national law.
3. Determine effective assessment methodologies.
4. Organize, administer and conduct onboard assessment.
• Shipboard assessment system
• Competence-based assessment
• Onboard assessment process
The candidates at the end of the course will be awarded with a certificate of completion
following a theoretical assessment and achieving a minimum of 60%.
This course was formerly known as the Assessing Behavioural Competence Onboard course.