Onboard Competency Assessment
The Nautical Institute's Onboard Competency Assessment Course has been designed to provide industry guidance on competency assessment. This course is primarily intended for any person conducting in-service assessment of competence of a seafarer on board.
This course was formerly known as the Assessing Behavioural Competence Onboard course.
- Captains and Senior ship Officers
- Technical and Marine Superintendents
- Designated Persons Ashore (DPA)
- Operations Managers
This course introduces the processes and procedures to organize, administer and conduct onboard assessment of seafarer competence.
A trainee successful in completing the course will be able to:
1. Apply the international provisions concerning the training and assessment of officers and ratings on board ships.
2. Apply the international provisions in the context of national law.
3. Determine effective assessment methodologies.
4. Organize, administer and conduct onboard assessment.
• Shipboard assessment system
• Competence-based assessment
• Onboard assessment process
The candidates at the end of the course will be awarded with a certificate of completion
following a theoretical assessment and achieving a minimum of 60%.
The Nautical Institute is an international representative body for maritime professionals involved in the control of seagoing ships. It provides a wide range of services to enhance the professional standing and knowledge of members, who are drawn from all sectors of the maritime world. Founded in 1972, it has over 50 branches worldwide and some 7,000 members in more than 120 countries.